Sunday, November 9, 2008

Final Reflection

As I looked back at my first post and think about it now, I believe that some of the things that I had said before still hold true today. ES2007S module has just reinforced my understanding of the value of effective communication skills.

It is definitely essential to have effective communication skills especially in this cutthroat society where everybody vies to stay on top. In order to differentiate from the rest and excel in your life, you will need to impress, fo
rge interpersonal bonds and get along well with different kinds of people regardless whether there is a friction between personalities. The quality of life is not only determined by material means but also how truly happy you are. I feel that communication can be the key to true happiness as well. As I have mentioned in my initial post, humans are biologically social creatures and thus need to have interactions all the time. How often do you see a lonely soul being happy with him/herself? This can be why loneliness is frequently related to sadness.



We need to have a family. We need to have friends. We need to have a large, strong social network so that we have at least someone to rely on when anyt
hing happens. Such personal ties can be created if we can interact well with people. These relationships can be the source to our happiness and thus improve our quality of life.



All the above-mentioned require excellent communication skills and I have the privilege in learning such skills during my time in ES2007S. Brad has taught us the importance of effective communication skills and what he has imparted was an imprint on what I had written earlier. Therefore, my values on good communication skills did not change much even after a few months.


ES2007S has provided me with the opportunity of honing
my communication skills and I must agree that it has helped me tremendously in the process. I have learnt how to conduct business meetings, write resumes and reports, and do interviews, presentations and much more. I have developed a greater understanding on how to interact well with people and therefore enhanced my social networking skills. All these will certainly come to good use in the later part of my life and I am grateful that Brad has taught us the relevant techniques and skills in class.

One thing that I would like to mention is about the interview sessions we had during class. I had written in my first entry that I would always become jittery
whenever I have job interviews. However during the interview sessions, I was calm and compose and made sure I know what I want to say. Expectedly, the interview was a breeze. PREPARTION and PRACTICE are what made a good interview. I am glad to have a chance to practise during class.


The entire learning process was not only insightful but also enjoyable. I can’t remember looking forward to a class as much as I do for ES2007S. I guess it is because I had a fun time interacting with the people in class and it has a relax atmosphere to it where I can snack and eat whenever I want to...hee. Thanks Brad!

Overall, I had a terrific experience being in this class and I am sad that it is going to be over soon. I am going to miss the people and the joy that everybody brings. Not only do I gain effective communication skills but numerous friendships as well. Hopefully we’ll have some mini gathering some time after! Thank you all and will miss this class espe
cially you Brad! Haha! Loves!





7 comments:

Chun Siang said...

Joyce, you have been so interactive buddy in our group . Sometimes I feel that you are the one who brought up the "interactive atmosphere" in our group, the entire group 9.

I would also like to thank you for being the pioneer in the group that brought us snacks during the tutorials. ^^ ~

Being the oldest buddy in the group, I shall bless you for having fruitful campus life in coming semesters.

Take care and hope one day the pervert will be smashed by the dragonboat's paddle.

p/s: update us again when you decided to have a facebook account one day in the future. ^^

Benjamin Ng said...

Hello Joyce, you have obviously gained many valuable skills from this course, though I must say conciseness is probalyly not one of them! While they usually take some time to read through, your posts are always very vividly detailed (which probably explains the length) and entertaining.
I really enjoyed your presentation today, there was something so wrong about it which also seemed so right. The passion you normally exude in your blog posts was also apparent in the way you spoke. Well done! Just remember to try and keep things short!

Kheng Aik said...

I think you mistaken hyperactive with interactive, Jacky. Still it is an understandable error. :p

Anyway, I would like to echo Ben's sentiments here, both good and bad. You are a highly entertaining and outspoken individual, and it has always been a real pleasure to interact with you.

Wish you all the best in building your own business empire. :)

Woody said...

Nice performance for the presentation Joyce. I agree with you on the sentimentality and emotionality of communication.It's so important and yet so many people are missing out on it. Well, I do hope I've really learnt how to communicate effectively from now on.

Wong Liang Fu said...

Hi Joyce!

Agree with what you said about having the need to forge bonds and get along with different types of people!

It definitely takes much more effort than simply taking ES2007S to maintain genuine relationships. =)

Finally, hope we can all learn to be as positive and optimistic as you, and learn to communicate better with everyone!

Brad Blackstone said...

Dear Joyce, I love this reflective post! The accolades themselves are worth their weight in gold!

More seriously, I really appreciate the effort you have made this term in creating a learning community in our class. A group of 20 people in a room can be simply that, a collection of bodies in a particular space. But with the will to make things happen, and a bit of EQ, everything changes. Your post touches on this when you write, "These relationships can be the source to our happiness and thus improve our quality of life."

Hey, have you ever thought of becoming a teacher?
What about teaching communications? (I know a university program that is currently looking for young qualified teachers! Right here at NUS!)

Okay, so there you go: my own hat's off to you!

Thank you once again for your hard work, and for being an inspiring player in ES2007S Group 4! We were all enriched by your presence!

Best wishes for a worthwhile career path, and a bountiful journey on the path of life

Joycee said...

Hey ppl! Thanks for commenting on my blog! I really appreciate it, especially my 3 faithful groupmates who never fail to comment on my every blogpost!

Anyway, I am really very grateful for taking this module. Otherwise I wouldn't have known all of u such wonderful ppl!

And to Ben, ya I know i can be suuuuuper long-winded but that's because I'm afraid that I'll miss out some important points. Thanks for the feedback though, I'll keep that in mind. I'll try my best to be concise next time! Hmm......

On a larger note, it is because of communication that all of us get to know one another and we should never neglect it. Hope our friendships will continue to last after this class. Take care and will miss you all! Keep in touch! =)